Some cold hardy palm trees can be grown in warm areas of Idaho. Idaho has a continental climate with hot summers and cold winters. The average temperature in Boise city in January is 29°F (–2°C) and 74°F (23°C) in July. The humidity levels are generally low across the state.
Idaho USDA hardiness zones range from 2b to 7a. The highest temperature ever recorded was 118 °F (48 °C) and the lowest was −60 °F (−51 °C). In the winter on average it gets about 20 in (51 cm).
Idaho USDA Zones
Growing Palm Trees in Idaho
Only cold hardy palm trees will grow in Idaho. Providing a cover and creating a microclimate can dramatically increase the list of palms that will grow in your area.
- European Fan Palm Tree – Zones 7b-11 (5 to 10 F)
- Pindo Palm Tree – Zones 7b-11 (5 to 10 F)
- Sago Palm Tree – Zones 7b-11 (5 to 10 F)
- Saw Palmetto Palm Tree – Zones 7a-11 (0 to 5 F)
- Windmill Palm Tree – Zones 7b-11 (5 to 10 F)
Major Cities in Idaho
Boise – Hardiness Zone 6a
Pocatello – Hardiness Zone 4b
Twin Falls – Hardiness Zone 6a
Find your hardiness zone